Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

MOOCs and Credit-Seeking Students (#edumooc)

I do make most all of my content openly available, but to get credit at least at my university, they have to take the class. - Ray Schroeder

Credit-seeking students taking a MOOC fascinates me.  Being on the outside of the administrative aspects of a MOOC, it's hard to know how well university students respond to such a format and to the degree that a course syllabus is publicly shared with others.  I'll share a few questions I have.

  1. Are universities willing to publish a syllabus online under a Creative Commons (CC) license? And if so, which CC license is most common: CC-BY, CC-BY-NC, etc.?

  2. Are credit-seeking students open-authoring content (under CC or public domain) and if so, what type of preparation, if any, if needed?  For example, do they understand CC and how to respect the license?  Are they given a choice of licenses? Etc.

  3. How do (tenured) teachers feel about open-authoring?  Are universities giving credit to non-refereed, online, and open publications?  Should universities give credit to open authoring?

  4. My assumption is that those credit-seeking students taking #edumooc 2011 were instructed to blend in with the rest of the participants and interact in a way that meets the objectives of the course (whatever they are).  But it would be interesting to know who the students are and/or what their objectives are for the class as well.  In fact, I don't see anything wrong with explicitly stating expressive objectives for the course (i.e., throughlines, understandings, etc.) and still having each participant chart out their own learning sequence and goals for the course.


I know perhaps this is new for many universities, but if I were to design a MOOC, I would be pushing for open educational processes (OEPs), that is, openly publish every (or nearly every) administrative and academic function (say on a wiki) and just see what kind of response gets generated among other participants.  So far, there seems to be just as much talk about the MOOC itself as there is about the course content.

No comments:

Post a Comment